Wednesday, October 20, 2021

Steven 1.6

A


Only contextually relevant things I can find is the

faceless character and the interaction with a physical

object, otherwise, it is a distinct art piece from Mark’s

collection.

All of Mark’s works are distinctly faceless when portraying

humans. He likes to cover them up with things like wigs,

traffic cones, hoodies and other obscurations. One thing

that they all have in common is that they are all street

installations.


A general theme that it seems Mark likes to instill on the

public is a sense of surrealism - limbs or bodies of

mannequins being covered up in regular clothes and

placed in confusing situations invokes confusion. ‘How is

that person’s head in the wall’ would be a logical question

asked by a person seeing Mark’s installation

when going about their business.


 B


Can be interpreted to comment on infrastructural problems

in urban areas.


Direct use of guerilla art, basis of the artwork. Shows a

child pulling down a post with a rope.


There is no little distinction between most of Mark

Jenkins’ characters aside from size, body proportions

and actions. In this case, a child is being shown pulling

down an object, this could just be used to describe the

playful nature of our youth.


A


What factors are at play when deciding what message
you want to send?


What got you into street art?


What defines your style and how did you find it?


How do you decide where to exhibit your pieces?



Artsy



What factors are at play when deciding what message you

want to send to the audience?


Usually it's something that I've had building up in the

back of my mind, other times it's a response to a political

issue or passed legislation. When I’m not taking things

too seriously, I go around the streets looking for some

funny things to make based on the surroundings. There's

not really a rhyme or reason with my work, I just simply

go with the flow. :D)


What got you into street art?


I think it was because of the direct nature of the street, a sort of honest reflection on things. It is a quick way to get my art out to the general public, and it raises awareness to concepts I would like to expose to people.


What defines your style and how did you find it?


I would say that my style incorporates

existential/political reflections and other times just plain humour. I think street art spoke to me for reasons I mentioned before - it just has a sense of groundedness in reality, honesty to the public. Since I produce these reflections on a regular basis, it seemed fitting to spread them around public consciousness. In addition, funny artworks are probably lifting people’s spirits around the city, and I appreciate that.


How do you decide where to exhibit your pieces?


It usually boils down to the context of the piece in relation to the real world, giving the characters a sense of realism by showcasing them interacting with tangible objects.

1 comment:

Revision for Paper 1 - some useful links

Political cartoons: https://www.ncpedia.org/anchor/analyzing-political-cartoons# https://www.blitznotes.org/ib/eng-langlit-sl/cartoon_conven...