Tuesday, December 14, 2021

Reviewing my chosen poems and my own poem

 I choose 6 poems, I tried it pick out things that didn't really correlate with each other so I could have a wide variety of topics.


Poem 021: Wheels 

What I mainly like about this poem and the reason I choose it is because of the different types of car models which were discussed in the poem.

Favorite Verse - " in a yellow Baracuda with a girl leaning into him", I choose it simply because it's quite funny for me because it reminds me of a scene from fast and furious. 


Poem 056: Red Wing

What I found interesting about this poem is how the author is describing what I believe to be a life of a construction worker, or just workers in general. I didn't really notice any rhyme in it, however.

Favorite Verse -  "here's to tomatoes onions and corn", I chose this verse because I think this describes construction workers/ workers best, they work really hard, and when they're on break they are basically cheap and easy meals since they don't have much free time.


Poem 060: Football

The reason I choose this poem is quite easy, I just like football, and when I saw the title I instantly clicked. There isn't much rhyme in this poem either but I do believe there are many hidden meanings in some words which I have yet to fully crack all.

Favorite Verse - " I have eaten pancakes for instance with that clear corn syrup..", I choose this simply because to me I find it quite odd and funny. The first part up until this verse was mainly just speaking about football but then however out of nowhere this verse popped up, and it made me laugh since I went from reading about football to someone's opinion on pancakes. Nevertheless, I believe there is a hidden meaning in this verse that I still haven't deciphered.  


Poem 066: The Moon

I choose this poem based on the title, it sounded quite interesting. It is a nice and simple poem with not much rhyme, however, even though it was short I really enjoyed it.

Favorite Verse - "I go off to see the moon in the pines far in the woods I sit against a pine", This verse to me seems quite relaxing especially when I envision the scene which has been set by the author, this is the reason I choose it as my favorite verse from the author.


Poem 085: Fight

This poem was quite interesting there was definitely a lot of rhyme used in this one. There is definitely wordplay as well in the poem but not as much as the other poems used.

Favorite Verse - " Nothing on earth can diminish my glee", I choose this because I liked the choice of words and how the writer made a sentence that could easily be quite basic into a more complicated and interesting sentence.


Poem 102: When Death Comes

I choose this topic because it seemed like an interesting topic to me. What I liked about the poem is how the author used metaphors in most of her sentences.

Favorite Verse - " When it's over, I don't want to wonder",  quite an interesting perspective I feel as though personally after death I wouldn't like it if it was just all black I would rather have something better maybe a replay or an afterlife rather than just darkness.


My own poem:


There was once a man

with a cold-hearted plan

he didn't like apples 

nor chapels 


He thought he would never change 

until he meet 

Mary James


Until one horrible evening 

when everything went south

it was almost like 

the apples had the last laugh 

no mary to be seen 

nor berry the house dog


the man in an instance filled with rage 

as his life was now filled with Kage

his life was now over as he thought 

until he woke up from the dream 

that he was lost in



No comments:

Post a Comment

Revision for Paper 1 - some useful links

Political cartoons: https://www.ncpedia.org/anchor/analyzing-political-cartoons# https://www.blitznotes.org/ib/eng-langlit-sl/cartoon_conven...