Tuesday, September 7, 2021

English Entry

 I was born and raised in a predominantly Greek-speaking country, but simultaneously learned in British schooling systems for around 10 years. During this time I was fluent in 3 languages, nowadays I can confidently speak Estonian and English, but my Greek could use a lot of help. 

I’m pursuing HL English in IB because I have a hard time coming around to reading books and long texts without being forced to. Because of this I am losing precious resources for my own literary development. In other words, I am actively going out of my comfort zone over the course of the program to try and build a standard of myself that I can apply outside of school. 

 Although I have never struggled with reading most forms of writings in English. I have somewhat recently been attempting to pick up niche philosophy books, but I have found most are filled with meticulously placed hyper-jargon which produces heavily emotional responses when understood. The conjoining of concepts and complex definitions fascinates me a lot, it’s a very unique style of writing (at least from my experience) which I find most enjoyable to read. A problem I tend to have with it, however, is that 1 page will cost me around 15 minutes of dictionary scouting.


 Where it stands with my English is such that I am looking to enrich my vocabulary to the extent of understanding my favorite genre of writing. In addition, I want to be forced to become familiar with the act of dedicating time to picking up and reading a book. 


1 comment:

Revision for Paper 1 - some useful links

Political cartoons: https://www.ncpedia.org/anchor/analyzing-political-cartoons# https://www.blitznotes.org/ib/eng-langlit-sl/cartoon_conven...